The title can be slightly deceiving, because a Catholic priest can sometimes be referred to as a pastor while some Protestant pastors can be referred to as priests. So here is a list similarities and differences between the two that should help you distinguish one from the other.
- Priests are always men whereas Pastors are not always necessarily men.
- Pastors can get married whereas priests cannot. If a priest does get married it's because they were married in the Anglican Communion and then converted.
- Pastors can have biological children and so can priests but the only way they can do this without risk of getting in trouble is through the process explained in #2.
- You can’t just decide to be a priest, but you can decide to be a pastor if you want.
- Priests typically wear the clerical garb while Protestant pastors can dress a little more casually in suits, ties, jeans, or whatever they wish. This makes priests a little easier to spot than pastors because they are dressed in the unmistakable clerical garb.
- Priests tend to hear more confessions of sin than Protestant pastors. This is because Catholic priests are given the authority to act in persona Christi to forgive personal sin.
- Priests are less likely to spend their time thinking creatively about the details of worship services than the average Protestant pastor because the details of the day to day don’t vary too much.
- The average priest tends to deliver more sermons than your average minister and this usually comes out to them delivering about one a day.
Churches nowadays are facing hardships like financial issues, pastor’s unrealistic expectations, and tradition having more pull than vision. But, despite the tough reality that many congregations are feeling today, here are 8 reasons to remain optimistic about your church. Many church leaders are admitting that their church is struggling and although this [...]
Believe it or not this is still a thing. Depending on your church, there will be different expectations and standards as to how you dress. Some churches are more relaxed and allow for more casual clothing but others still expect you to come in your nicest attire.Why can clothing be an issue?For some people it’s not an issue [...]
When dressing for any occasion, it’ll be easier if you start with the basics. A wrinkle free button down shirt, a blazer, a dress, a blouse, and a skirt. These items are a great starting point when focusing on looking your best for church, a professional setting, or simply to look great when going out for the night.BlazerA blazer [...]
When you’re attending church, it is expected that you dress appropriately in a way that reflects your morals and the standards of the church. Although church attire has evolved over time, it is still expected by many churches that you wear your best clothing when attending the worship service. Here are some tips on taking the right steps to [...]
It is obvious that Christmas is one of the most important days in the Christian calendar. It is the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ. Impress your family and friends with your beautiful robes and accessories as you celebrate Christmas this year.At Divinity Clergy Wear we of course sell clergy robes for the occasions that come to mind like [...]
The clothing and accompanying attire worn by the clergy are often thought of as sacred orpersonal items. The clothing worn symbolizes the faith and commitment to the congregation.The clergy will choose what colored shirt to wear based on the service they are delivering.Here’s a brief look at what the different colored shirts represent.Black Shirt:Black shirts [...]
Different colors were used to represent different liturgical seasons and times of the year in the church starting around the fourth century. These colors are used to express ideas and emotions that align with the different seasons and give them meaning. For example, white and gold are used to represent light and the brightness of day, black is used [...]
Summer is the perfect time of the year to grow the attendance at your church. The weather is beautiful, unlike the winter when it’s almost always cold, and there is pretty much always a chance of snow. In the summer, children are off from school and families have more free time together. This is the best opportunity you’ll get [...]
Do you attend Mass regularly? Do you realize how many benefits this simple practice can have on your overall health? Many people may not realize that taking one single hour out of their week to attend a spiritual Mass at church can positively affect their physical and mental being. If you enjoy singing and praying, imagine singing and praying [...]